Tune in to the latest episode of the Ecwid Ecommerce Show. This week we’ve brought on Hahney Yo, a Product Marketing Manager at TikTok. She uncovers what makes TikTok so special and how small businesses can use the platform to grow their reach.
The World of TikTok
TikTok is a place where short form videos reign. It also has over one billion users globally. TikTok content splits the difference between content that entertains and educates, with creators using the platform to discuss everything from food, music and sports to more niche subjects like Victorian fashion or frogs.
In other words, TikTok is a place for content about anything and everything you could possibly be interested in, from catching up on recent headlines to relaxing with ASMR videos.
TikTok is all about making things
The platform is built on
Business Accounts on TikTok
In addition to personal accounts, you can use TikTok to open a Business Account to help promote your growing side hustle or retailer. But don’t be fooled by the name, both business and personal accounts should be personable.
Not sure you have a great idea for some business related TikTok content? Don’t be afraid to start simple. Complexity can come with time, and inspiration can strike along the way. In the meantime, don’t miss out on being a part of hashtag trends like #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt!
TikTok creates a For You experience for its viewers, which can include great products, presented by savvy vendors who are willing to highlight the stuff they sell in a personal way.
What Videos You Should Make
Reaction videos can be a great way for store owners to participate in TikTok without having to create elaborate videos.
Following popular videos can create opportunities and allow you to participate in viral trends.
You can showcase how your product is used, or interesting people who are using it. Just keep it authentic and personable.
Ecwid merchants can participate in all of the above to build brand awareness! Just remember to make TikToks, not ads. The goal is to harness the power of connecting with people organically. Just start making videos and you will discover how popular basic video formats can be.
You can also boost your most popular videos making them function more like ads. But remember that they should always be driven by engaging content first.
A quick path to making your own videos is to watch what others are doing, then mimic what resonates with you. And to remember that more is more: get in the habit of making TikTok videos, even if you aren’t sure they’ll perform well. Keep sharing more about who you are and how you help people, and success will surely follow.
TikTok Shopping is in Beta and eligible for select merchants in the US and the UK.
From your Control Panel, go to the TikTok page, which will allow you to connect pixel tracking for effective advertising. You will also find the TikTok Shopping feature there, which allows you to sell directly through your TikTok account.
TikTok is a booming platform, so don’t miss out on the opportunity to participate and promote yourself there.
Handy links mentioned in this podcast:
- TikTok is one of the most entertaining content platforms out there, and we have a
hyper-engagedaudience. So what TikTok is: is when you open up your phone, you go into the TikTok app, you’ll see videos automatically playing and you’ll scroll through something we call the For You page, which looks different for everyone. And it’s a great place where you can see what people all around the world are getting up to. My favorite thing is that it’s a fully immersive, no judgment zone.
- A lot of the videos that you’ll see on the platform are between 0 to 30 seconds long. The type of content you see on there very much varies. So you have folks who are vlogging their lives, giving you a glimpse of what they’re doing all day. You’ll see a bunch of different video clips, montages with great music. You might see some folks showing us how they’re cooking and you get that good ASMR of all the knives on the cutting boards. And you have content across all different types of topics. There’s #foodtalk, there’s #edutok, there’s a hashtag for combating climate change.
- Sound is super important on TikTok. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone watch TikTok with the sound off, just because it’s such a core component of what makes a TikTok fun and vibrant. It doesn’t always have to be music.
- We have a feature called Promote where you can, in your app, promote a video that’s been doing well really easily. We also have something called Spark Ads where you can take a video that’s been doing super well and then you can figure out a way to advertise with it.
- TikTok Shopping is basically an ecosystem that we’re building out here at TikTok where we’re allowing merchants to start selling through their TikTok account. So to Jesse’s point, once you go through the
not-so-manysteps to connect TikTok to your Ecwid shop, you’ll be able to put your products in what we call a Product Showcase tab on your TikTok profile. So if I’m going to your @ handle, whatever your TikTok username is, once I take a look at it, I can click on this little shopping icon, see all of your products, check out, make a purchase, become a loyal customer.